Presentation’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates/Helpful Information
Presentation’s Rehabilitation’s Response to the Massachusetts State of Emergency Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak:
Protocols and procedures are based on the most up-to-date guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (the CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), as well as the local and state Departments of Public Health (DPH).
- Screening: This Center’s COVID-19 screening of all individuals including healthcare personnel and visitors includes symptoms assessment and temperature checks of all entering the Center (except in cases of emergency workers responding to 911 calls)
- Non-essential personnel are not permitted to enter the Center unless they meet DPH permissible criteria and pass above screening
- Staff reporting to work with symptoms are not permitted to work and CDC and DPH recommendations are followed. Staff with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or close contact with a COVID-19 positive person will adhere to CDC and DPH guidance for any required quarantine if indicated and when permissible to return work
- Visitation: Outdoor and indoor visits are supported by this Center in designated visitation spaces under DPH and CMS guidelines designed to protect residents, staff, and visitors. All outdoor and indoor visits (including resident room visits meeting permissible criteria) are dependent on Center’s ability to comply with DPH and CMS guidelines for when these visit types are permissible as well as the Center’s COVID-19 status (the unit, floor, or care area where the resident lives must not have any confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases in staff or facility-acquired confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases in residents in the past 14 days for indoor visitation to occur), a resident’s COVID-19 positive or suspected status, and the COVID-19 positivity rate of the local county where Center is located.
- “Compassionate care visits” including but not exclusively referred to end-of-life situations can occur indoors under special circumstances on a “case by case.” As well as visits for participating in discharge planning/education. Contact the Administrator or Director of Nurses if there is a circumstance that warrants compassionate care visit consideration.
- “Virtual Visits”: Several types of electronic communication are available for scheduling a virtual video visit with assistance provided to resident for these types of visits if needed.
- Testing: COVID-19 surveillance testing of personnel and residents is conducted as directed by DPH and CMS. New employees are tested prior to starting orientation. The DPH and CMS has developed a rigorous surveillance testing program designed to aid in the early detection of COVID-19 cases (symptomatic and asymptomatic).
- Additional Measures to enhance the safety of personnel and residents includes;
- Recreational activities, communal dining, and use of the rehab therapy gym occurs in adherence to DPH guidance and the Center’s ability to meet the specific criteria of such guidance
- Staff are educated on infection control practices, personal protective equipment (PPE), performing hand hygiene, and the use of appropriate products for environmental cleaning and disinfection
- The Center maintains sufficient levels of PPE and staff are monitored for wearing the appropriate PPE. Staff are updated if changes in the PPE requirements are made. Residents are encouraged to wear a mask and to perform hand hygiene
- Isolation rooms are available for COVID-19 positive residents to receive care by designated staff
- This Center complies with the required reporting and updates on the surveillance testing and COVID-19 status of our residents and staff to the local and state DPH and CDC
- Enhanced infection control protocols and procedures based on the current guidance by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and the local and state Departments of Public Health (DPH). Center practices include but are not limited to: on-site Certified Infection Preventionist nurse, adherence to use of personal protective equipment (PPE) protocols as indicated, rigorous environmental disinfectant cleaning, and visitor and staff screening procedures.
Fact Sheet for residents and/or visitors when COVID-19 testing is done by BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card for Rapid Detection of COVID-19.
Click Here for the Fact Sheet.
Helpful Links For Information Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19):
Mass.gov Information on the Outbreak of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (https://www.mass.gov/resource/information-on-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19)
CDC Learn More About COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html)